Portland Bill lies at the southern tip of the Isle of Portland. Once this was really an island, but is now a peninsula connected to the mainland by a narrow causeway. The main attraction is Portland Bill lighthouse, completed in 1906, which replaced two older lighthouses which though decommissioned are still standing. The Isle of Portland is also famous for Portland Stone, a pale limestone which is very popular for public buildings as it is fairly easy to work, but hard enough to resist weathering. There is evidence of old quarries around Portland Bill, including the Pulpit Rock, which was left behind by the quarry workers and resembles a bible resting against a pulpit.
Portland Bill would make a fine location for sunrise/sunset shots, unfortunately we could not organise the time, so our pictures are from a rather windy day, which is not unusual given the exposed nature of the peninsula.
Location and Parking
Postcode: DT5 2JT
Take the A534 across the causeway to the Isle of Portland, and keep going south until the road ends at Portland Bill. There is a large pay and display car park.