In 1943 during the build up to D-Day, the village of Tyneham was evacuated to make way for a military range. At the time the villagers expected to return after the war, however the area remained a military site and today the remains of the village can only be visited at weekends or Bank Holidays when the range is not in use. The handful of cottages are in ruins, however the school and church have been preserved and the school is now a small museum, being presented as if the children have just stepped out for a break.
From the village, a pleasant level walk of about 1 mile can be made to Worbarrow Bay, and from there with a bit more effort the walk can be extended over Tyneham Cap to Kimmeridge Bay, returning along the coastal path before climbing once again over Tyneham Cap to return to the village – a round trip of 6 miles and just over 900ft of ascent. All of our pictures were taken on this route.
Location and Parking
Postcode: BH20 5QQ
As the village is no longer occupied, there is no relevant post-code – the one above is for East Lulworth. Fron East Lulworth, leave the B3070 and take the minor road into the ranges (only open at weekends and Bank Holidays). After about 2.5 miles, Tyneham Village is signposted sharp right, down a narrow track. The village is reached just over 1 mile down this track.